Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cooking Class Part II

Tonight we had our second cooking class. I didn’t eat too much during the day in anticipation for the food. To start, chef Santa (my boyfriend) had us make polenta, which is kind of a cornmeal based piece with a gelatin like texture. It was accompanied with trout mixed with a sauce made of raisins, anchovies, capers, and of course, olive oil. The thought of eating anchovies in anything grossed me out but I tried it and it was actually a really good mix with the other things. The polenta wasn’t really something I would usually choose however, I’m glad to say I’ve tried it, but I wasn’t really a fan of the texture.
For the first course we had a risotto with mixed vegetable. It was really good, something I really enjoyed, it had kind of a creamy buttery taste to it which went really well with the vegetables.
Our main course was amazing. It was beef I believe with a meat mouse rolled into into it, with scalloped potatoes, and a red wine based dressing over it. The beef was one of the best things I’ve ever eatin. It was really interesting to see him wrap it in cow mesentery, which is the inside covering to protect the cows stomach, mostly composed of fat. He used this in place of any other fat based products. The scalloped potatoes were pretty simple, pretty much just sliced potatoes baked with a cream sauce. And the dressing that went over all of it was made of red wine which had to be boiled down to bake out the alcoholic taste, and then boiled with the carrots and onions that were cooked along with the beef. Amazing.
Dessert =heaven. I don’t usually like lemon flavored things, but after this trip, my boyfriend Santa has changed my views. For dessert we had a lemon croissant pie. The crust was very buttery and flakey, and it was filled with a lemon filling. It was so good. No words to describe.

No comments: