Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bologna

This past Saturday, we traveled to Bologna. We started off early, so didn't really have time for breakfast. Around noon, Megan and I stopped at this small cafe, to grab a quick bite to eat. I've noticed that the bars in Italy normally have a variety small finger foods, wether its little slice of bread topped with some speck, or potato chips. At this particular bar they had some green olives, slices of bread with some sort of tangy like topping, potato chips, and these little what looked to be mini hash browns which were kind of spicy. For lunch we both ended up ordering a panini with speck, mozzarella, and artichoke hearts. It was pretty good, although I've officially decided I have a stronger preference towards good old American sandwiches. The outside of the panini was warmed, but the inside was still a little cold (I dont know if this is how its supposed to be or if they just didnt heat it long enough). 
We walked around the market in Bologna, it was filled with the typical fresh fruits and vegetable I've seen all over the markets in Italy. One thing that caught my eye was these what looked to be mini strawberries. They sold them just like they normally would strawberries, but they were just mini.
We then went into this awesome butcher shop/deli, and the smell as soon as you walked in was amazing. They had a wood stove burning and you could smell all the cheeses and meats. They had a sampler, so I tried some salami and provolone cheese....amazing. 
For desert I had a scoop of gelato, it was chocolate with chocolate covered wafer pieces, probably the best one I've had since arriving in Italy. Megan had one called Austrailian (something like that), it was vanilla with white chocolate and macadamia nuts...second best. One more sweet treat I noticed while walking in the market was these candies shaped like fruit, I think originated from Sicily. It pretty much looked like pure sugar, but something I think the kids would enjoy.
 

No comments: